Sunday 4 May 2008

Sunday

Sheesh, the horrid Monday went by. But must talk about wonderful Sunday. Now, R has an exam but N comes over ‘cause the dearie must go back to Bangalore. So exam or no exam, we must party! Very often, we have proved that we exist only to eat, and so we did just that again this Sunday… R and I are convinced we need more Sundays like these… Chinese and Thai beckoned, pay day having just gone by, spulrge was the operative word. And my my, we can be such cats sometimes- all for comfort and indulgence. What a fun meal, I mean, we have all had that kind of meal right? Lots of great conversation, you can stuff your face without being worried that you’re being judged/silently being accused of causing a famine in some part of the world. The conversation moves from downright nasty/bitchy/gross to thoroughly uplifting and soul stuff. Besides, you eat like a pig and you know that after you’re done, hunting for dessert will happen. You don’t get weird looks for wanting DESSERT. Ya, screw the calories and make me happy please! Yesterday it was – chocolate croissant, dutch caramel (I picked this because the other 2 cats were lusting for good caramel custard that was nowhere to be found. No, custard dahlings, but at least I managed the caramel part!) The buzz was warm, happy and I thought if I died now, I would go away pretty peacefully- ya, life still sucks on many levels, but just right then, its all manageable. Thank you my dear cats, what a gorgeous Sunday lunch, just when I needed it. Muaaah.

And then you know, towards the end of the week, started reading Susan Sontag’s ‘Notes on Camp’.
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/prose/Susan_Sontag_-_Notes_on_Camp.html
Been dying to read this for ages, since the days of yore- my Masters programme which ended, which would be a year ago...(shoot!!! Thats a loooooong time!) Goddddd, Sontag, I want a life like that... more like need to BUILD life like that. Anyhoo, been trying to evaluate exactly how 'camp' I am... need more of a meditation on that... which this blog shall not be privy to

Of the many things I love about the piece, here's one, nicely connected with the talk about the Sunday lunch and all its pleasures... and comes from Oscar Wilde, and boy, he did say some very pragmatic, charming things.

"I adore simple pleasures, they are the last refuge of the complex." - A Woman of No Importance
Now, I agree with the simple pleasures bit, whether thats because I am complex/plain twisted/too much of a nincompoop, I shall not get into... teeeeehehehehhehehehehe

1 comment:

arunabh said...

"What a fun meal, I mean, we have all had that kind of meal right?".. yes thats the notion of a fun meal for someone who is a veggie to the core. Try non-veg and i can promise you that the meals will only get funn-ier .
The name psycochan actually quite suits you given the way you write these days ;)